Alberta Homestead Index
To start searching for a homesteader, begin typing a single letter, a combination of letters, or the full Surname in the search box. Filter your search by adding more letters, or a Given name. Add a section or township number if you wish. As soon as you type in letter(s) and/or numbers—searching is instant. There are no search buttons to click.
Example: type in "cyz" (without the quotes) into the Surname search box. The return hits will be:
Some research tips:
This database is character sensitive, not case sensitive. It requires no wild cards or truncation for searching. To return to your search list, click on Back to Search. Entries read will be marked . Currently there are no images in this database.
- SURNAME—is the last name of the individual
- Given Name—is the first and perhaps middle names of the individual
- Sec.—section of land
- Twp.—township numbers, run north and south
- Rge.—range numbers, run east and west
- W_of the—West of the meridian. In Alberta, there are three meridians: 4th, 5th and 6th. View the map for placement.
- Placename—the town, village or hamlet of residence
- PAA Ref.—Provincial Archives of Alberta accession number
- Film—PAA microfilm number the homestead file number is on
- File—Ottawa's homestead file number
Scope of the Index:
The Alberta Homestead Database was compiled by AGS volunteers transcribing the Applications for Alberta Land Patent, 1885‒1897 and the Alberta Homestead Records, 1870 to post-1930. The database is continually being updated.