Welcome to Alberta Genealogical Society
It is my great pleasure to welcome you to the Alberta Genealogical Society whether as a new member or as a long-time member and supporter. As a non-profit Society begun in 1973 by just a handful of members, AGS has grown today to ten branches across Alberta and over 700 members.
We have a great many benefits to offer the member. You will receive a copy of our award winning Journal Relatively Speaking four times per year.
Each of the ten Branches has regular meetings, often with speaker, and many have Special Interest Groups that specialize in a particular country or area (writing or computers) of Genealogical interest and research. They also present webinars and teach research courses and classes. The AGS and Branch libraries have many books, on-line databases and paid subscriptions such as Ancestry and My Heritage that are free to members.
Members also receive discounts from sponsoring companies. Please explore our website for further information about our branches and services.
Simplify your research with our help
As a Society, AGS is well known for having a large number of volunteers who give as much as 33,000 hours of volunteer service each year to their communities across Alberta. The volunteers share their skills assisting members and the public in the libraries, answering research queries, teaching classes and webinars, leading Special Interest groups, providing leadership on Branch and Provincial executives, gathering data for research databases, volunteering at the Provincial Archives, maintaining our website, editing articles for our Journal Relatively Speaking and many other functions so necessary for our survival as an organization.
We look forward to meeting and working with you and getting to hear about your family and your research. We welcome your ideas to enrich the Society. We hope you will share your skills and experience with other members. Please contact me if you have any questions or concerns. firstname.lastname@example.org
Results AGS focuses on
- AGS supports and encourages people to engage in accurate diverse genealogical research that enhances family connections and records family stories.
- Our intention is to be the trusted source of diverse genealogical resources and to provide proven genealogical methods through education, assistance, promotion, resource development, and collaboration
- AGS strives to help researchers spark appreciation for their genealogy services.
Genealogy starts with feeling joy in being curious
We celebrate and support people who are curious and take the initiative to research and record family history.
- We look for ways to simplify research, we recognize and value proven methods and processes in effective genealogical research.
- Our community is about listening, we support one another in the pursuit of genealogical research and family history.
- We spark respect by welcoming diversity, seeking new ways support researching and sharing family history from all cultures.