Genealogy starts with feeling...
- We celebrate and support people who enjoy being curious about genealogy and taking the initiative to research and record family history.
- We look for ways to simplify research, we recognize and value proven methods and processes in effective genealogical research.
- Our community is about listening, we support one another in the pursuit of genealogical research and family history.
- We spark respect by welcoming diversity, seeking new ways support researching and sharing family history from all cultures.
- Download our AGS Brochure ›
AGS Membership provides opportunities
We welcome anyone with an interest in genealogy
- You can participate in the activities of one or several of our ten Branches throughout Alberta,
- Attend workshops or our yearly conference.
- Access various online databases in our members areas,
- Join a monthly meeting to learn more genealogy research techniques, take part in historical and genealogical projects specific to Alberta.
Receive award winning AGS Relatively Speaking Quartely Journal – print or digital copy
- There are a number of membership options to choose from.
- Get help from AGS Research services volunteers.
- Participate in any Special Interest Group in any Branch free of charge.
- Take Tracing Your Family Tree and other courses at Member rate.
- 6000+ books, online subscriptions, maps etc. available at AGS and Branch libraries
- Access to the AGS Members Only Facebook Group
- There are many opportunities to volunteer and contribute to the AGS
- Voting rights at the AGS Annual General Meeting
- Gain friends with similar research interests and have fun!
- Learn from experts and fellow researchers who care deeply about all aspects of family history.
- Free access to speaker events on a wide variety of topics including genealogy, history, and heritage.
- Educational events for all interests and experience levels are offered by Zoom. Our events are available to people in Alberta and around the world.
- Access to Alberta Records Name Index (ARNI) - 900,000+ cemeteries, obituaries, newspapers, birth, marriage, death records, and life events.
- Access to Alberta Telephone directories (via Medicine Hat website)
- Access to Alberta Name Index (ANI)– 750,000+ names, probates, local history, obits, death records (via Edmonton website)
- Access to AGS Library Catalog on-line
- Cemetery databases - Brooks, Camrose, Grande Prairie, Lethbridge, and Wetaskiwin Branch websites.
- Access to Alberta Homestead Records Index
- Free access from anywhere to My Heritage Library Edition subscription
- Access to the AGS Libraries and its unique collections, as listed in our Library Catalogue. Additional Information about the AGS collections can be obtained via our the Research Services page
- Access to the Ancestry, Family Search affiliate Library, and FindMyPast library editions when you are at the AGS Edmonton Branch Library.
- Access to Charles Denney Collection of Metis Family History
- Access to Ancestry, Find My Past, Family Search Affiliate Library
- Free wireless access when you bring your own mobile device to the AGS Edmonton Branch Library
- Free parking at the AGS Edmonton Branch Library
Reduced fees for members
- Reduced fees for AGS events and workshops.
- $5.00 off membership to Ontario Ancestors, British Columbia, Saskatchewan or Manitoba Genealogical Societies
- JSTOR – 25% discount on research guides and columns
- National Institute for Genealogical Studies – 10% off courses
- Shop the Hound – orders over $200, free shipping in Canada; 10% off all orders
- Vivid Pix – 20% off software
- Your DNA Guide – 20% off books; $20 off mentoring session
- Enroll in our genealogical courses where available
- Attend one-day workshops networking with other genealogists
- Register for an all-weekend provincial conference (held on odd years)
- Engage with us at Gen-Fair and take the opportunity to talk with veteran genealogists or mentors (held opposite to conferences years)
- Join one of our Special Interest Groups (SIG) › where available
Click on the title of each of these benefits to visit their website to learn more.
Alberta Records Name Index (ARNI)
As a member you can search through the following items and see the results.
Included in this database
179,683 Local History books
50,904 Life Events
Alberta Homestead Records
As a member you can search and view the results of the homestead records.
Included in this database
Alberta Land Patents, 1885-1897.
Alberta Homestead Records, 1870-1930.
Alberta Homestead records, post 1930.
MyHeritage Library Edition
Free Access to billions of historical records, Hundreds of millions of Nordic records, gravestone photos, 500 million historical photos, military and immigration records, passenger lists, government, land and court records, yearbooks and more...
JSTOR for Genealogists
JSTOR is an online library of hundreds of years of academic research.
Members receive 25% savings on yearly JPASS plans.
In addition to special free draws and promotions, members get a 10% discount on genealogy courses and packages, including eleven Certificate Programs
The Ontario Genealogical Society
Canada’s largest member-supported genealogical organization.
AGS members receive $5.00 off their membership.
Our yearly Membership runs from January 1st to December 31st.
To become a Member or Renew Membership we have three options:
- Online using the AGS Store.
- Download PDF form, mail to the AGS Office 2023 Membership Application Form
- Email or phone the AGS Office and receive it by email.
- Phone AGS office at 780-423-8902 to join by phone.
Membership can be paid by
- Cheque or money order
- by PayPal (PayPal account or credit cards).
- Phone us at 780-423-8902 or email at email@example.com
- Members who belong to BC, SK, MB or ON provincial Genealogical Societies, receive a $5.00 discount by providing their membership number to the other provincial Genealogical Society.